Monday, October 22, 2007

A World Without Peyton Manning


So one of the things that I do when I'm not blogging is this thing called TIRP, where you guest teach stuff about international relations at high schools near USC. One of the exercises I did with my classes had to do with globalization and was called "Why Should I Care?" It's a pretty simple exercise. Basically you're supposed to plan a fun weekend with your friends and then you're supposed to list all of the things you would need for the weekend. I then tell the students to cross off every single item on the list that is a foreign product or resource, which is basically everything on the list. The point is that you can't isolate yourself from the outside world and that a world without international trade would blow.


But what about if we took this same lesson and applied it to other things, like football players. What would life be like in a world without Peyton Manning?

Alright so let's plan out a fun weekend and then start taking away products that Manning is a spokesman for, and we'll see how far we get.

It's fall, so I'll be honest, my weekend consists entirely of just watching college football on
Saturday and pro football on Sunday.
Friend: "Hey Ken, there's this awesome party tonight on Ellendale. You wanna go?"
Me: "No thanks, the Mississippi State/East Carolina game is still going on."
Friend: "Ummmm okay.....well the game is 24-3, so I don't really get why you're still watching. Plus I heard a bunch of the girls from Delta Gamma are gonna be at the party."
Me: "Yeah I know, but there's still the over/under that's up for grabs in the game, but you have fun."

DirecTV: Hmmmm okay well we've all seen this ad. You know what, I don't even care about the NFL that much. I don't really need to watch those games, I'll just play video games instead.

XBox: Great commercial, really the beginning of the Manning the Salesman era. 
That game never held a candle to Madden anyway. (Additionally, real-life tie in: my XBox is broken in the real world, too.) That's alright though, there should be a few solid games on ABC or FOX or CBS for me to watch.

Sony: Wow, okay fuck that. Not only is he a spokesman for Sony, it is specifically for their televisions. (By the way, I couldn't find a video of the ad, but everyone has seen it if you've ever been within 20 feet of a television.) You know what, I'd rather see the game live, so who cares. I'm gonna go buy some tickets to the Kings game tonight.

MasterCard: Dammit, why did I forget about this? (Gotta love the bloopers.) Yeah I definitely don't have enough cash on me. How much do you have on you right now? $5.78? Yeah, okay looks like we're not going to the hockey game. You know what, Kings tickets are overpriced anyway. If we can't watch sports, why don't we just get the guys together and play a little two touch? I'll text Will and Kenny right now.

Sprint: Really hit and miss with these Sprint commercials. Okay, so I don't know how to send smoke signals, and the last time I tried, my RA chewed me out for like 20 minutes or so for setting off the fire alarm at our dorm. Hey, it's all good though. My roommate and I can always just play a little pitch and catch out in McCarthy Quad. Ian, let's roll. I just gotta grab my shoes.

Reebok: What? Seriously? Shoes are overrated anyway. My Neanderthal ancestors didn't need shoes to club animals to death, so it's not like I really need shoes to throw a football around with my buddy. Although, it is hot outside today. Peyton didn't do ads for air conditioning did he?

Gatorade: Fuck off Peyton. I like you, but this is just getting out of hand. How the hell am I supposed to replenish my body with
 electrolytes after working up a sweat throwing a football? Powerade? Please. That shit is awful. (Also, when did it become okay to blatantly copy everything about your main competitor's product including half of its name? Was Crocade already copyrighted?) Okay well, it looks like I can't do much for myself this weekend. Hmmm I've got an idea...

American Red Cross: Oh come on! What is that?! I try to spend my weekend providing disaster relief to those in need and YOU have to come in and ruin it for me?! Alright Peyton, you win. I'm going to spend my weekend in my room with the door locked doing the same as many other lonely teenagers with nothing else to do.

Carrie Underwood: Okay, not fair. He didn't date her, he isn't plugging her album, and he's not her manager. Just because she promoted her album as the musical guest when Peyton was the host of SNL does not imply that he was a spokesman for her. That'd be like saying that you aren't allowed to laugh because he was promoting comedy on SNL, or that you're not allowed to support America because he went to the White House after winning the Super Bowl. Those are the rules....that I just made up.

So I guess a world without Peyton Manning isn't that bad. I can still Google Image Carrie Underwood and have a good time by myself as long as I have my Mac.
By comparison, a world without Tiger Woods is much bleaker.

No comments: