Friday, November 2, 2007

Why Am I Doing This? Pt. 1



It’s Friday night. I finished the last of my midterms this morning. I’ve got the room all to myself while my roommate is away. And how am I celebrating? Staying in an going to sleep as early as possible tonight.

Why?

Because Setanta Sports is not a channel that is included in my basic cable package at USC. So instead I am waking up at 5am, grabbing some coffee, and driving to Santa Monica to Ye Olde Kings Head to meet up with my friend and watch one of the biggest games of the year.

Ye Olde Kings Head is a traditional British pub, where the words “wanker”, “piss off”, and “bugger” are commonly heard. (My roommate’s been dying to go here for the past few months, so he’s going to be so pissed to hear I went without him, and to watch his boys play no less!)

As for the game, which all of you die hard sports fans are frantically wondering why you don’t know what huge game is being played tomorrow morning, it is the match between Arsenal and Manchester United. The two teams are tied for first place in the Premiership at 26 points and have both been on fire recently. In fact, Arsenal is still undefeated this season, and until Arsenal tied Liverpool last weekend, they had won 12 straight matches.

And guess what? I just got a little hotter in north London as Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor recently revealed that Man U tried to poach the Togo national over the summer, only to have him turn down the offer. And then! Sir Alex Ferguson, the United manager, said that the young Gunner squad can only be judged by how many trophies they’ve won, not how well they’ve played so far this season. (FYI, Ferguson’s side won the Premiership League title last year, while Arsenal finished fourth.)

Oh snap.

Tomorrow night I will write about my experience being called a scallywag, or whatever those lobsterbacks will call me, and then coming back to SC for our homecoming game against Oregon State. (Insert beaver innuendo here.)

No comments: